Technology is a useful way to make learning MORE fun. Technology is definitely a tool we use today in the classroom to help students enhance their learning. I want to be able to show my future students the kind of technology that is available to us. There are so many "apps" that are good for educational purposes. Some applications can help with math, reading, and writing. There are dictionary apps, science magazine apps, calculator/math help apps, and so much more. I would want my students to know what they can work with and use to their advantage. I would not want my students to become flustered or stressed out by the amount of websites and applications that are available to us. Technology is also not always our "friend." The internet can be very stubborn, so patience is also a must when using technology with students.
I remember when I was in kindergarten, our class would have free time. Once we finished our book work, we got to play on the computer. I remember this alphabet game we had, which was entertaining for us, but also got us to remember our letters. In elementary school, I do not recall the use of computers. I always thought they were so exciting, but strictly for teacher's use only. In middle school we had a computer lab where we could do research for projects in our class, and we also got to learn the 'right' way to type. In high school, technology never seemed to work out as we planned. We had laptops that would travel from classroom to classroom, but no one could log in and the connection was always poor. A lot of the time everyone trying to do the same task ended up with a slow computer that took the whole class period to load.
I would say the best activity I have ever done using technology would have to be my high school web design class. I learned how to make websites, and I also found out some great resources to use in case I was having trouble creating one. My teacher would create tasks that got us to explore the internet and find new websites on our own, and we got to see each others work afterwards. Another activity I found useful was The Khan Academy, which is a math website. This website helps people like me who are HORRIBLE with math understand the material in different ways.
Overall, technology can be our friend and it can also be our enemy, but it is only going to grow in a more positive way as time goes on.
I loved how you not only posted the positives of technology, but also the negatives. I never thought about using apps in teaching because I grew up with just websites as resources. You had a few great ideas in your blog, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete